- I can apply knowledge of root words, prefixes and suffixes to read aloud and to understand the meaning of unfamiliar words.
- I can read further exception words, noting the unusual correspondences between spelling and sound.
- I attempt pronunciation of unfamiliar words drawing on prior knowledge of similar looking words.
- I can re-read and read ahead to check for meaning.
- I am familiar with and can talk about a wide range of books and text types, including myths, legends and traditional stories and books from other cultures and traditions. I can discuss the features of each.
- I can read non-fiction texts and identify the purpose, structure and grammatical features, evaluating how effective they are.
- I can identify significant ideas, events and characters; and discuss their significance.
- I can recite poems by heart, e.g. narrative verse, haiku.
- I can prepare poems and plays to read aloud and to perform, showing understanding through intonation, tone, volume and action.