- I can apply knowledge of root words, prefixes and suffixes to read aloud and to understand the meaning of unfamiliar words.
- I use my combined knowledge of phonemes and word deriviationsto pronounce words correctly, e.g. arachnophobia.
- I attempt the pronunciation of unfamiliar words drawing on my prior knowledge of similar looking words.
- I can read fluently, using punctuation to inform meaning.
- I am familiar with and can talk about a wide range of books and text types, including myths, legends and traditional stories and books from other cultures and traditions. I can discuss the features of each.
- I can read books that are structured in different ways.
- I can recognise texts that contain features from more than one text type.
- I can evaluate how effectively texts are structured and presented.
- I can read non-fiction texts to help with my learning.
- I read accurately and check that I understand.
- I can recommend books to others and give reasons for my recommendation.
- I can identify themes in texts.
- I can identify and discuss the conventions in different text types.
- I can identify the key points in a text.
- I can recite a range of poems by heart, e.g. narrative verse, sonnet.
- I can prepare poems and plays to read aloud and to perform, showing understanding through intonation, tone, volume and action.