At Colman we aim to provide the highest quality pastoral support throughout the Federation. We support children to achieve their best, educationally, socially and emotionally.
Our Pastoral and Parent Support Advisor is Donna Goldsmith. She can be contacted via the school office on 01603 508530 or direct by either email or mobile during term time.
The aims of the Pastoral Support at Colman Federation are:
- To provide support that meets the differing needs of all the children so that each child is equipped with the skills to deal with life.
- To support children to address social, spiritual, mental, emotional and physical needs.
- To maintain an atmosphere in which children feel secure, are encouraged in their learning, growth and social development and know that they are all valued in a healthy, safe environment.
- To encourage children to recognise and reflect upon our core values.
- To work with a range of parents, staff, outside agencies and other schools to ensure the continuity and progress of individual students.
The role of the Pastoral Support Team
- To support and work alongside parents in addressing Pastoral concerns impacting on their child’s learning and development.
- To work with staff in ensuring good pupil support and build upon the caring and respectful relationships that exist between staff, children and families.
- To provide specialist counselling to support individual children, listening and talking to children who may need support with a variety of pastoral issues, for example, self-esteem and confidence, bereavement, managing feelings, anxiety and worries, separation and developing social and friendship skills.
- Responding to situations as they arise within the school.
- Meeting with parents/carers to discuss issues relating to their child.
- To ‘signpost’ families to outside services for appropriate help and support.
- Staff, parents or the child themselves, can alert a member of the team to any difficulties they may be experiencing.
- The child’s ‘wishes and feelings’ will be gathered to gain an understanding of their thoughts and feelings.
- A child’s session will usually last between 20-30 minutes either individually or in a small group. This is tailored to suit the child’s needs.
- Sessions are fun and might include games, role-play, puppets, play-doh, arts and crafts, social stories and the most important thing,
- A child’s progress will be assessed and discussed with them every half term.
- Pupils – any child can speak to our Pastoral Support Workers if they have a worry at school or at home. They can do this by approaching us or by asking a member of staff. Then a suitable time will be arranged to have a meeting.
- Parents/carers – if you have a pastoral concern regarding your child, you can phone and speak to Donna Goldsmith 07795 225289 email Dgoldsmith@colmanfederation.